Simple List of What I Focus on While Sketching

This is a landscape colour sketch I used as background for a short comic.

 What I think about while sketching any object is:

  • shape of object
  • light sources and direction
  • shadows
  • find multiple references for same object
  • colour hues and values
  • direction of strokes

Last, but not least, while in the sketching phase I always find it helpful to let "mistakes" happen and let them be. At times when I do get stuck on these "mistakes" I tend to get so focused on them and get deeper into the details I forget the bigger picture and never manage to finish any pieces, because of the perfectionist mentality. Remember it is just a sketch.

As Bob Ross used to say:
We don't make mistakes. We just have happy accidents.


If you are interested in more illustrations check out my instagram @myaolo 

0 Comments